Sunday, November 19, 2006

WOW .... Wireless which changes everything ....

We had the pleasure of spending a big chunk of the weekend in the company of our good friends G&S at their beach house across the bay from Adelaide. Outside of the fact that the beach house is just SENSATIONAL (one of the most beautiful homes I have had the pleasure of visiting) I also got a little taste of the future.

This beach house is located 50m from a gorgeous beach on the Great Southern Ocean and has great views all the ways to Adelaide. It is dirt roads in and out and there are maybe 25 buildings in the community - no shops, so schools, nothing.

My job requires me to work some unpredictable hours at the moment (some might say it is a little sad, being on the beach with a laptop, but we ARE building a world-class company here) so armed with my laptop and my new Telstra NextG Data Card I took a few minutes to send an email.

The screen shot to the right shows the reported data speed from this card, from this connection - a WHOPPING 1.8Mb/s down and 203kb/s up..... absolutely plenty of bandwidth for most of the things I need to be able to do when working on my laptop.

I haven't devoted very much of this blog to talking about specific products and services, but I have to say that I am very impressed with the NextG network. The mobile broadband is exceptional; stable, fast and very easy to use and I find it is a fabulous business tool. Well done Telstra and their partners!

(I have to confess that we do some great work for Telstra, specifically for the NextG mobile platform, but this does not bias my opinions here - this is a very good quality service!).

This does change everything. Areas which were previously "remote" in terms of decent, commercial grade bandwidth are becoming increasingly connected. Even more significantly, the constraint we have had on delivering rich media digital services off the "tethered network" are now VERY possible. Think animated billboards, mobile advertising, rich-media point of sale and more.

Hang on to your hats as we will now see the rate of change for communications, advertising and entertainment step up another notch .... the thing I really love about my job (and yes it is that we get to change the world) is that our team are the No.1 team in Australia to help our corporate and government clients to make the most of this exciting accelerated change.....

No comments: